Beginning a WWII research project!

Forum for our foreign visitors. Please use English as your language.

Moderators: Jasper, nicoleers

Plaats reactie
TruthSeeker
Forumlid
Aantal adoptiegraven: 0

Beginning a WWII research project!

Bericht door TruthSeeker » di 04 sep 2007, 20:03

Hello Forum Members:

When you begin a WWII research project the first organization you encounter is NPRC, St. Louis. NPRC will send you away, empty-handed, with the infamous "1973 fire" story, if they can.
I would like to reassure ALL researchers that this simply is NOT true. I am living proof that not all records were destroyed in this "fire," e.g., I wasn't so easily sent away, and pursued my quest; my father's DD214's, which NPRC had informed me were burned in the "fire." Knowing that the US Military and/or the US Gov't never kept only ONE copy of anything, I knew there had to be copies of my father's military records elsewhere, and I was right!! With this belief in mind I set out to obtain the treasured DD214's for my father, which I am now in possession of!
Don't take NO for an answer and discontinue your research because the documents you seek are available.

Good luck to all researchers,

Groetjes,
TruthSeekr
The TRUTH is out There!

'Michiel'
Forumlid

Re: Beginning a WWII research project!

Bericht door 'Michiel' » vr 07 sep 2007, 21:27

You just woudn't give up? How many years have you been trying to get the documents? I admire such people as you!

Regards,
Michiel

TruthSeeker
Forumlid

Bericht door TruthSeeker » za 08 sep 2007, 06:38

Hello:

Thank you!
No, I never gave up! I have obtained every military document in existence for my father, including his DD214's that NPRC told me were burned in the "fire." It took me approximately 3 years. A few weeks ago I was able to contact the last person, with the final piece of information, that made my research project complete. It is a difficult undertaking, however, the rewards are worth it.

Regards,
TruthSeeker
The TRUTH is out There!

'Michiel'
Forumlid

Bericht door 'Michiel' » za 08 sep 2007, 09:19

Very nice! I wonder why the government of America says it has been burned in a fire, what are they hiding?

Regards,
Michiel

TruthSeeker
Forumlid

Bericht door TruthSeeker » za 08 sep 2007, 17:24

Hello:

I'm not sure that the US Gov't is hiding anything, but then, one never knows with our gov't. I am more inclined to believe it's just plain "laziness" that makes the staff at NPRC say the documents were burned in the 1973 fire. It's far easier to just send a replacement certificate for the DD214's than to actually get up from their desk and look for it. NPRC always refers to "alternate sources" but never tell you who that is, or where they are located. I was able to identify and contact some of those "alternate sources," and obtain a few of the so-called "burned" documents from them.

It is definitely a challenge and many give it up before they reach their goal.

Regards,
TruthSeeker
The TRUTH is out There!

Jasper
Moderator en Projectleider
Aantal adoptiegraven: 5
Aantal geadopteerde namen:: 2

Bericht door Jasper » ma 24 sep 2007, 11:48

You are right about the "laziness".....i adopted 4 soldiers and i recieved the same letters for all of them.

Any other adresses were we can send letters to? St louis is not an option anymore....
You can lose an enemy, if you can make him a friend...

TruthSeeker
Forumlid

Bericht door TruthSeeker » ma 24 sep 2007, 18:03

Hello Jasper:

Yes! You can write to the Veteran's Administration Regional Office for the State your Vet is from. Include in the address of your letter:

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
Regional Office
ATTN: 345/Privacy Act/FOIA (Very important!)

I also wrote to the NARA, in Washington, DC, and was sent declassified secret documents of radio communications from my father's Unit, 103rd. Inf. Div., from Nov 1944 through May 1945. As you know, 3 of the most famous campaigns of the ETO were fought during this time frame. It was very interesting to read, and a treasure to possess. This organization does not have records on individual Vets, per se, but if you wanted information on the units they have that.

It has recently become more difficult to do WWII research, not sure why. Maybe allot of people are undertaking this project. I sent for some information a few months ago and was required to send "proof" that I was next-of-kin to my father.

Groetjes,
TruthSeeker
The TRUTH is out There!

-Spitfire-
Beheerder
Aantal adoptiegraven: 3
Contacteer:

Bericht door -Spitfire- » ma 24 sep 2007, 18:09

I wrote a few months ago a letter to the FOIA officer in Washington I thought. You advised me to send them a letter. But I stil haven't heard anything. How long does it take before you get an answer? :)
'De echte slachtoffers van de oorlog zijn diegene die op jouw foto's staan'
Sebastiaancollectie.nl

TruthSeeker
Forumlid

Bericht door TruthSeeker » ma 24 sep 2007, 18:23

Hello Sebastiaan:

Sometimes you don't get an answer. I remember our conversation about your letter. Sending letters to the attn of FOIA are better sent to the Regional Office of the Veteran's Administration, Regional Office for the state your Vet is from. Actually, I sent letters, requesting information about my father, everywhere! Can't hurt, and you never know what you will find.

I think it took several months for me to get an answer to the letter I sent to Washington, DC, to the NARA. You may not have received an answer yet because they don't have records on individuals, just units. However, along with the letter telling me they don't have records on individuals, they sent me the declassified secret documents pertaining to my father's Unit.

I'm here if you need further help,

Groetjes,
TruthSeeker
The TRUTH is out There!

Plaats reactie